Fridolin Haass Watercolors of Santa Barbara Adobes

Dublin Core

Title

Fridolin Haass Watercolors of Santa Barbara Adobes

Description

Commissioned in the early 1950’s by community leader Pearl Chase, this collection of exquisitely detailed watercolors by Fridolin Haass depicts Santa Barbara’s historic adobe buildings. Haass’ paintings were generously donated by Mrs. Chase to the Santa Barbara Trust for Historic Preservation.

Together, these paintings document the Hispanic architectural heritage of Santa Barbara and capture the beauty and uniqueness of each adobe edifice. Some of the public structures and private homes rendered in these paintings no longer stand; others are familiar landmarks within the city.

Collection Items

Feliz-Goux Adobe<br /><br />
12 West Carrillo Street
This three-room residence was built in the early nineteenth century. In 1853, Maria Antonio Feliz owned the property; Jules Goux, a native of France, acquired it in the 1870s. The adobe was demolished in 1955 and replaced by a parking lot.

Cañedo Adobe<br /><br />
123 East Canon Perdido Street
Originally constructed as one of the residences for non-commissioned officers in the Presidio, this adobe was granted to José Maria Cañedo during the Mexican period. The Pedro Baron family owned the property for many years, living in the adobe and…

De La Guerra Adobe<br /><br />
11-19 East De La Guerra Street
Constructed between 1818 and 1828 for the fifth comandante of the Santa Barbara Presidio, José de la Guerra, this "adobe mansion" was a center of the early community's political and social life. The house remained in the family for over one hundred…

Lugo Adobe<br /><br />
114 East De la Guerra Street
This picturesque adobe is set back from East De la Guerra Street and is a part of the Meridian Studios complex developed by Bernhard Hoffmann in 1923-25. The adobe was constructed for a Presidio soldier, possibly around 1830. Mr. and Mrs. Hoffmann…

El Cuartel<br /><br />
122 East Canon Perdido Street
This remnant of the Presidio was built in 1788, making it the oldest building in Santa Barbara. For many decades, the family of Presidio soldier Jesus Valenzuela lived in the adobe. In 1941, a group of citizens purchased El Cuartel and it became Boy…

Trussell-Winchester Adobe<br /><br />
412 West Montecito Street
Captain Horatio Gates Trussell built this house in 1854 from adobe bricks and from wood salvaged from the shipwreck of the "SS Winfield Scott." Sheathed in wood, this adobe reflects the influence of its builder, a native of New England. Wooden…

Casa Covarrubias<br /><br />
715 Santa Barbara Street
This large adobe was built in 1817 as the residence of Domingo Carrillo and Concepcion Pico de Carrillo. Jose Maria Covarrubias acquired it in 1853, a few years after the last congress under the Mexican flag was held there under Pio Pico. The…

De La Guerra Adobe<br /><br />
11-19 East De la Guerra Street
Constructed between 1818 and 1828 for the fifth comandante of the Santa Barbara Presidio, José de la Guerra, this "adobe mansion" was a center of the early community's political and social life. The house remained in the family for over one hundred…

Hill-Carrillo Adobe<br /><br />
11-15 East Carrillo Street
Daniel Hill, an immigrant from Massachusetts, built this major adobe for his California-born bride, Rafaela Ortega, in 1825-26. A later owner was Captain John Wilson, whose wife, Ramona, was the mother of California Governor Romualdo Pacheco. In the…

Gannon-Martinez-Ruiz Adobe<br /><br />
1022 Anacapa Street
This house was built c. 1859 by Josefa Valdez de Gannon, the widow of an Irish immigrant. She later married Leandro Martinez; their daughters resided in the adobe for many decades. It was demolished in 1959.

Oreña Adobe<br /><br />
27 East De la Guerra Street
The one-story adobe on the right was constructed in 1849 by José de la Guerra, fifth comandante of the Santa Barbara Presidio. It was used as a storehouse for merchandise received from ships. Gaspar Oreña purchased the property and built the adjacent…

Arellanes-Kirk Adobe<br /><br />
421 East Figueroa Street
This small hilltop house was built c. 1860 for the family of Barbara Dominguez de Arellanes and Francisco Arellanes, descendants of some of the earliest settlers of New Spain. Their daughter, Maria de las Angustias, married Frank Kirk in 1866, and…
View all 17 items

Social Bookmarking